12.31.2012

My Reads: 2012

I don't know if you know this about me, but I am an avid reader. Andy is always telling me that I don't have any interests/hobbies and I need to constantly remind him that reading is a hobby. A damn good one if you ask me. I could give you a million reasons why reading is one of the very best things you can do, but that might be boring and it is not the point of this post. This post is to share the best books that I have read in 2012. Some of these books were published prior to 2012, but I just got to them this year.
Read Read read!

**Side note: I keep track of my reading goals, progress, ratings, and lists on Goodreads. If you haven't checked out this website, I'd highly suggest it. Its a great place to connect with others about books and find recommendations for new stuff to read. I also love being able to organize what I want to read and what I have read. Check it out... and add me as a friend!

Ok. Drumroll please... these are not in any particular order (it was hard enough just to narrow them down!)

Baby Bumps: The Almost, Barely, Not-Quite-True Story of Pregnancy, Bed Rest and One Batshit Crazy Family  I don't know if my love of this book is because I was pregnant for practically ALL of 2012 or because it's possibly the funniest book I have ever read, either way this book is a must read for anyone who is pregnant or ever has been. If you are planning on ever getting pregnant, I wouldn't suggest reading this... it will scare the crap out of you. On the other hand, this book could be the perfect form of birth control. This book was a pretty quick read and  I read most of it on our flight back from Mexico this past September. I was sitting next to a complete stranger who kept giving me funny looks as I was trying to contain my audible laughter.
A quick synopsis: Amy (the author of this memoir) gets put on bed rest halfway through her pregnancy so she chronicles her journey throughout the remainder of her pregnancy... the ups and downs (mostly hilarious and embarrassing downs). Amy Sprenger is hilarious... and if you are anything like me and wanted more of her after reading this, she also blogs over at SnarkyMommy

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) Andy and I read this one together and we both really enjoyed it! There aren't many books that we can both read and enjoy, so this one is a treasure. This book definitely falls in to the fantasy category... It was actually something a little more "fantasy" than I normally read. Don't get me wrong, I read plenty of books with magic and vampires and witches, but this book was more realistic and I actually really enjoyed that. It is also written by a Wisconsinite, so I may be a bit partial! This is the first book of a trilogy The second book in this series came out this year and Andy also read that one and said it was even better than the first. I'll have to trust him because I haven't read it yet, but it will be one of my first reads of 2013!
A quick synopsis: This book tells the story of an extraordinary boy, Kvothe, who overcomes many challenges to become an accomplished, extraordinary man. He works his way up from being an orphan to a very accomplished wizard. This book is a piece of art. It leaves you wanting more from every bit of the story... But not in a bad way. It incorporates all the great elements of an epic trilogy including a hero, an enemy, a mystery, and a bit of a love story.

Insurgent (Divergent, #2) This is the second installment of the "Divergent" series, and it was every bit as wonderful as the first! I love the characters, I love the dystopian setting, I love the drama and the secrets and the action. I just love this series/book. I have a major crush on Four, I want to be Tris. This book, even for being the second in the series, did not falter the way many "seconds" do... there was no lull in the action. There was still plenty of actions and secrets to be uncovered and we find out just why being divergent is so important yet so unwanted by the society. I don't want to say more in fear of giving up too much about this book or Divergent if you haven't read that one yet. Just read it. Seriously, no peer pressure... PS. The third book is coming out in 2013 and I am so excited I might pee my pants! (though that doesn't take much these days...)

The Scorpio Races  This book was so good! It was great "teen" novel and one of the few stand-alone books that I read this year that deserves such a high level of praise. What I loved most about this book is the depth of it. Stiefvater could have easily made this a fluffy, teen romance novel but she stayed on the side of great content, well developed characters and amazing backstory. This book seamlessly alternated between two different point-of-views which only added to the high quality of this book.
  A quick synopsis: The setting of this book is on a relatively unconnected island that is known for the Scorpio Races. Each year, brave riders race, sometimes to the death, on wild, blood-thirsty sea horses.  Puck and her two brothers lost their parents to these horses and ever since have found themselves in financial distress. Puck decides to enter the races to save her family. Sean, also an orphan, connects to these wild horses like no other person on the island, especially to his own very special horse Corr. He has the respect of the islanders for repeatedly winning the Scorpio Races, but this year the stakes are even higher for him.

Gone Girl This is a book I would have nver picked out myself, but my book club read this one and so, even though it isn't something I'd typically read, I did and I am so glad I did. This is such a twisted book and throughout the whole thing I kept thinking... "seriously?" "seriously?!" The fact that someone could even write a book this twisted blows my mind. I wish I were half this creative.
A quick synopsis: Nick and Amy seem to have a "perfect" marriage. But on their fifth anniversary, Amy goes missing. It looks like murder and the number one suspect? Nick. Nick however, stands by his innocence, as he attempts to uncover what really happened to his wife.

My other honorable mentions:
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris, #1) The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) The Fault in Our Stars Article 5 (Article 5, #1) The Night Circus

No comments: