1.03.2012

Caramel Popcorn

So I just finished one of the most amazing books called the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I must say that it was one of the most fantastic love stories that I have read in a long time. It was also one of those books that has descriptions that are so beautiful and so realistic, you can close your eyes and picture the scenery. It also describes a place that I would pay any amount of money to visit. I mean seriously... the first words are
"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not." 
Magical... simply magical. At one point in the book it describes how the circus smells of caramel corn and apple cider. Ever since i read that delicious description I have been craving caramel corn. I am a sucker.So I made some!

Here is what you need to make it:
  • 1 C Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 C Corn Syrup
  • 1/2 C (1 stick) of butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • popcorn



So make your popcorn.... mmmm. I love the smell of popcorn, don't you?!
Next... add the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt to a pan.
Stir this constantly until melted.

Bring the mixture to a boil. Do not stir and let it boil for approximately 5 minutes.

While this is boiling away, spread your popcorn out evenly on a cookie sheet.
So now that you have patiently waited 5 minutes... add the baking soda to the caramel  and stir. Pour the caramel over the popcorn on the cookie sheet.
Next, quickly stir the caramel and the popcorn together. It will not evenly coat the popcorn... its ok. I promise. It is still amazing. It should look a little something like this...
 Break it apart. Take a small portion. Put the rest away in an airtight container.

OK... who was I kidding? Get back up and get more. Repeat this process many times. At least you are doing some exercise while you are eating all that delicious caramel goodness. And seriously, read that book.

1 comment:

Manda said...

Crap. I thought I had this on library hold for my Kindle, but I just checked & I don't...and there are 42 people in front of me. I might need to buy this one. LOL :) It's on my wishlist!